What’s Going On with Blockchain in Healthcare?
Keeping up with technologies that are changing how healthcare is delivered.
Can a continuously growing chain of blocks using cryptography have applications in healthcare? Once written as two words, block chain, now is known as blockchain. But what is it? Why is everyone talking about it? And how can it help healthcare? Stay tuned as we search for answers and report regularly as this technology integrates itself into healthcare. Read more of our posts on Blockchain.
The Tate Chronicles
Tune in to HealthcareNOW Radio, weekdays at 11:30am ET, The Tate Chronicles with host Jim Tate. Jim is on the search for disruptive technologies that will change healthcare. His first series of episodes will focus on blockchain in healthcare. In this episode, Jim’s guest is Dr. Axel Schumacher, the Chief Scientific Officer of Shivom and the author of The Blockchain & Healthcare Strategy Guide. Shivom states they are “creating the world’s largest platform for the secure storage and sharing of genomic data… The platform provides solutions to a wide range of customers, including consumers, industry, research, governments and nonprofits.”
News and Noted
IBM Services Signs Agreement with Lenovo Data Center Group to Increase Customer Care with Cognitive and Blockchain Solutions
IBM (@IBMServices) announced that it will support the customer experience of Lenovo’s Data Center Group with Cognitive and Blockchain-powered field service solutions in over 200 countries worldwide. The multi-year agreement continues to build on the IBM-Lenovo relationship that began in 2005.
NASCO Partners with Several Healthcare Companies to Form a Consortium Focused on Delivering Breakthrough Technologies for the Healthcare Industry
NASCO (@nascollc), a provider of healthcare technology solutions, announced that it has partnered with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSM), Horizon Healthcare Services, Inc. and Express Scripts to form a consortium focused on delivering breakthrough technologies for the healthcare industry. The consortium, named Coalesce Health AllianceSM (Coalesce), is initially focused on evaluating the application of blockchain to improve the efficiency and accuracy of member healthcare data exchanges across entities within the Blues’ ecosystem.
Healthcare Payments Innovator MAPay Tackles Inefficiencies in Global Healthcare Transactions
MAPay, LLC, a global healthcare technology firm, has deployed a transformational healthcare payment network with an expanding customer base, positive patenting positions, increasing revenues, and multiple industry stakeholder acceptance. The company utilizes distributed ledger technology to power smart contracts to transact secure medical solutions on the MAPay network. MAPay utilizes a hybrid architecture of both centralized and decentralized protocols for multi-party medical payments and HIPAA-compliant data exchange.
The Benefits of Blockchain Adoption in Healthcare Industries – Blockchain technology in healthcare industries has the potential to play a major role in reducing costs and change how healthcare professionals share data. Adopting blockchain technology in healthcare could enable what an industry specialist has labelled the “holy grail” of medicine by allowing staff to track patient medical records and aggregate them in real-time.
5 Reasons the Healthcare Industry Should Invest in Blockchain Technology – The majority of the people associate blockchain technology with cryptocurrency like Bitcoin. Its application has grown far and wide and today, blockchain technology is being used by almost every industry including the healthcare sector. If you are working in healthcare, you must have a clear idea of how scattered the critical information is across multiple systems. Sometimes, you are even unable to access this information when you need it the most. In short, it can be said that the healthcare sector is facing inadequacy in handling the information exchange. So, what can be done?
Converge2Xcelerate Conference Announced in Blockchain Tech and Virtual Care Sectors https://t.co/qsDeAT2gwr
— Telhealth&MedToday (@THMToday) April 25, 2019
Blockchain and Healthcare: The Coming Disruption
Blockchain technology is a foundational disruptive electronic force that came to fruition and was birthed during the global economic crisis of 2008/2009. Blockchain’s first breath was taken on January 3, 2009 with the generation of the aptly named Genesis Block.
Download this eBook on who, what, and how blockchain is impacting healthcare today.
- Pixel Privacy – What Is The Blockchain? – The word blockchain is on everyone’s lips right now. Although you might not really understand what “blockchain” means, chances are you’ve heard people talk about it (a lot). Some people believe it will change our world for the better, and it will replace the banks that we currently know – or similar extravagant things. Although the blockchain came to the general public’s attention when the crypto market absolutely exploded, the majority of the people still don’t understand how it works, what it’s used for or what all the fuss is about.
- Ted Talk –How the blockchain is changing money and business, Don Tapscott. Don Tapscott is here to help, demystifying this world-changing, trust-building technology which, he says, represents nothing less than the second generation of the internet and holds the potential to transform money, business, government and society.
- From the Bulletin of the American College of Surgeons, by Alexander W. Peters, MD, Brian M. Till, John G. Meara, MD, DMD, MBA, FACS and Salim Afshar, MD, DMD, FACS, Blockchain technology in health care: A primer for surgeons.
Who We Read
- Blockchain Healthcare Review – Known for being a trusted resource, digital health adopters flock to their community to connect with free market healthcare delivery applications.
- Blockchain in Healthcare Today (BHTY), is an open access online, peer review journal where thought leaders and innovators converge to find solutions in a new health technology sector.
- Founded in 2015, Blockchain News has the goal of educating and informing those curious about Blockchain.
- From the Blockchain Unleashed: IBM Blockchain Blog, the Blockchain in Healthcare category.
- Investing News: Blockchain – BIS Research estimates the global blockchain healthcare market will reach $5.61 billion by 2025. A good reason to know who the players are. Here is their intro article.
- Toshi Times -Global cryptofinance news outlet covering Bitcoin, Ethereum, altcoins and the entire blockchain space.
Who To Follow